Why do we sing? Why do we make music?
- We sing to bring glory to God. Psalm 135:3 reads, “Praise the Lord; for the Lord is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.” We don sing because of what God has done for us; we sing because of who He is. He deserves our praise because of who He is. The music we make is an outward expression of what is in our hearts.
- We sing to help fellow Christians. Colossians 3:16 reads, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” The truths that are found within the songs we sing stay with us as we live life away from the church building. They can bring us comfort in trouble, guide us during temptation, and remind us of God’s promises to name only a few. It also links us together and promotes unity in within the local church.
- We sing to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to those who need to hear it. Psalm 40:3 reads, “And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.” God has given us Hope through the gift of His Son, Jesus. We are adopted children of God’s kingdom and His ambassadors here on earth. We sing to boldly proclaim this and to invite others to know Him as we do.
There are several ways we try to accomplish these three things:
Through Congregational Singing – We meet at 8:30 and 11:00 on Sunday mornings and 6:00 on Sunday evenings. Everyone likes to worship in different ways, so we try to offer a little something for everyone each week. But, always remember that singing praises is not about our preferences; it’s about glorifying God.
Through Choirs, Ensembles, and Solos – We have four choirs at West Heights. From youngest to not the youngest they are:
1) Preschool Choir – For children 4 years old by Oct through those in Kindergarten. They meet on Sunday’s at 5:00 pm in the Children’s Area.
2) Children’s Choir – For Children in 1st through 6th grade. They meet Sundays at 5:00 pm in the Youth Room.
3) Youth Choir – For that wonderful age group from 7th to 12th grade. This group also meets on Sundays at 5:00 pm in the Choir Room located upstairs behind the sanctuary.
4) Adult Choir – For anyone older than 12th grade. This group meets on Wednesday nights at 6:30 pm in the Choir Room located upstairs behind the sanctuary.
Each of these choirs leads in worship on a regular basis and therefore practices on a regular basis. Feel free to call the church office to ask for more information.
We also encourage people to bring their own worship offerings through vocal solos and ensembles, through our Praise Band, or through instrumental solos and ensembles. Contact Bro. Nathan if you would like to participate.
Through Special Services during Holiday Seasons – Easter and Christmas are important times in the church as we remember and celebrate what God did for us through Jesus, His Son. Here at West Heights, we show this through special programs and musicals.
Though this is the “Music Ministry” part of the website, worship is not limited to just music. There are many ways we can glorify God. If God has given you a gift that you want to share, or if you have an idea for a new worship ministry that you would like to see begun here at West Heights, then contact Bro. Nathan or one of our other staff members.